Tuesday, August 10, 2010

10.08.2010- The girls with the dragon tattoos

Rapace as Salander.
When I saw this spread from the August 2010 issue of Vogue Italia, I instantly thought of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, obviously because of the focus on body art (created here by Kabuki) but also because of the  moody atmosphere and overall composition of the piece. The styling of this feature, with the pseudo-gothic touches also really reminded me of the central character of Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, Lisbeth Salander, a figure who is already an icon of contemporary literature. In fact, the question of who is going to play Salander in David Fincher's English language remake of Larsson's book is one which has been much mooted over recent weeks; initially it was thought a relatively unknown actress would be cast, but now Emma Watson's haircut has the tabloids speculating that she could be screen testing for the part. Whoever is lucky enough to land the role will be hard pushed to better Noomi Rapace's portrayal of Salander in the original Swedish film, which I watched a few weeks ago and really enjoyed. Rapace simply is Salander; she is compels in the role as she brings the tortured soul of Larsson's imagination to life in faithful detail. And now it seems that Salander, and her unconventional sense of style is becoming more iconic than even Larsson could have imagined:

Ranya Mordanova and Natalia Chabanenko, shot by Emma Summerton and styled by Patti Wilson.
Do you think Salander is the inspiration for this feature? And who do you think should play her in the Hollywood remake?

If you haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I'd really recommend it. My best friend Sarah from City Girl's Fashion Box lent it to me to take on my holiday, and I couldn't put it down. I was so gripped, I've since bought the whole of Larsson's trilogy (all three books now have pride of place on my bookshelf) as well as watching the film. The Girl who Played with Fire is in cinemas over here at the end of the month, and I can't wait to see it!

(Image credit: fashiongonerogue and Google.)

No comments:

Post a Comment