Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Look for Less - Designer Inspired Pieces

Hello lovelies, I hope you're all well and good - as well and good as you can be on a Tuesday anyway ha-ha.  Today I'm being hassled by a cold-caller ringing me constantly - in the time since I've gotten up this morning (about 2.5 hours) they've rung me no less than 5 times - grrr, I'm not sure wether to pick up and yell at them to go away or just keep leaving it and hope they get the message! Aside from that though I'm having a nice day at home, prepping the house (a.k.a getting stressed at the ironing - I'm such a fail!) for the arrival back of my family from holidays - chaos is coming I can feel it! 

Before the madness ensues though I have a really interesting (well at least I hope it is) post for you today. The subject is 'Look for less - Designer inspired pieces' and by that I basically meen pieces that you can pick up on the high-street that are remarkably similar to much more expensive 'designer' versions. This is a subject I find quite fascinating as A)I always wonder how the budget companies are allowed to create such blatant copies and B)Why anyone would buy the more expensive versions when the knock of pieces are readily available?

Here is just a selection of 'knock off' inspired pieces I have found recently the designer pieces are on the left and the cheaper on the right:
 Left - Leather Jacket £395.00 Coggles
Right - Leather Jacket £49.00 Miss Selfridge 

Now I know I'm always going to be a champion of 'High-Street' fashion as it basically forms the backbone of fashionismyh2o but I honestly, honestly, honestly cannot see a difference in 'quality' in the appearance of these two jackets. I'm sure if I was to pick them up and feel them then there would be but in terms of appearance I seriously think they look like dead-ringers for each other and I'm sorry but at £350 cheaper... It'd be Miss Selfridge for me all the way.
 Left - Boots Guiseppe Zanotti $750.00
Right - Boots MakeMeChic $25.00

Yeah, once again this had me blinking for ages! I can see the Zanotti boots are a little bit sharper in terms of shape but generally overall again purely based on appearance I'm incredibly impressed by the 'imitation' piece again. I'd buy these black boots in a milisecond - how perfect would they look with some grey skinny jeans?

 Left - Yellow Dress  Wren £229.00
Right - Yellow Dress Topshop £46.00
Now I can at least visually notice a difference in the material used for these two dresses - the Wren dresslooks a much lighter fabric, but I have to say ... I think I actually prefer the look of the Topshop dress here - it just looks far less likely to crinkle and I much prefer my outfits to look like they've not been rolled around in ha-ha. Both dresses are beautiful though and I imagine the Wren dress would be a perfect quirky summer cocktail dress.
 Left - Black fitted dress - Ellie Saab £547.00
Right - Black fitted dress - Dorothy Perkins £38.00

Now again with this dress I can see that the expensive version is obviously slightly better cut - the shape of it is just absolutely gorrrrgeous! But the Dorothy Perkins number is definitely a decent contender and for those of us who could only dream of dropping £500 + on a dress it's not at all that bad of a consolation dress. Infact I'd be more than happy to rock it for work or a formal occasion anytime.


Right - Jeans Witchery £49.95

Now I know it's not strictly true that jeans companies 'replicate' designer jeans - most jeans look pretty much the same to me but I think if you're going to be charging so much more for a pair of jeans I would expect to notice more of a difference? I'm sure the fit would probably be better (anyone with a designer jeans habbit want to elighten me?) these both look great to me and once again whilst I'm on such an 'adverage' budget I'd seriously struggle to justify the more expensive jeans.
Left - Printed maxi dress Tibi £270.00
Right - Printed maxi dress River Island £29.99

Lastly this is probably my 'favourite' find when I was creating this post - I absolutely cannot beleive how similar the two dresses are! The print is pretty much exact and the only extra points I can give to the Tibi dress is that the yellow base colour is a lot more warm and soft. Despite that though for just £30 the River Island dress is a complete style steal and I absolutely adore it!

So there we are then honey's what do you think? Can you justify dropping some big ££ on a 'proper' piece or do you head for the knock-offs? What's your opinion on this? I'd love to know as I'm actually fascinated by this side of fashion.
<3




No comments:

Post a Comment