Thursday, September 22, 2011

22.09.2011- Fashion Week Top Five: New York SS12

New York Fashion Week flew by in a flash, and having spent most of last week sans internet, I've only just managed to catch up on everything. Surprise, surprise, I really struggled to pick only five shows to share with you as there was a lot about the collections shown at this NYFW that I liked. I really loved Thakoon's collection and the DKNY show, and the seeing magical creations of Marchesa is always a highlight for me. However, I've duly whittled down my favourites, and here are my top five fashion shows from New York:
 I loved the Great Gatsby inspired looks shown at Ralph Lauren, and in particular the effortless chic of the looks he presented as daywear. Wide-legged silk trousers in an array of sorbet colours hinted at the relaxed ease of a summer spent on a Long Island beach, and contrasting sherbet shades screamed summer holiday. For the evening, Lauren gave us glorious 20s opulence- metallic floor-length gowns with an array of embellishment and accessorised with skullcaps and feather shrugs.

I had high hopes for Jason Wu's SS12 presentation as I loved his AW11 collection, and he did not disappoint. I adored the embellished collar details incorporated into some of the more masculine looks, the experimentation with proportion, and the muted colours of my favourite looks spoke of an understated 'summer in the city' cool which is perfectly New York. 

Jenny Packham's collection was unashamedly feminine and elegant. White lace was a big theme throughout the show, as were signature florals and sequinned embellishments. I loved the uncomplicated way in which these looks were presented- minimal accessorising let the beautiful clothes speak for themselves. 

I adored the bold prints and pastel shades at Preen. Frilled waistbands and collars added a quirky edge to a very lady like collection. Sorbet colours made an appearance here too, so are sure to be big news for next season. 

Erin Fetherson's latest collection was a continuation of what she does best- cute, girly dresses with pretty details. The Mia Farrow inspired styling and mini hemlines more than nodded to the 1960s, and vibrant shades of pink and orange broke up the more retro monochrome looks.

Which shows were your favourites from New York?

(Image credit: style.com and fashiongonerogue.)

No comments:

Post a Comment